Monday, September 17, 2007

Room Rep, Physical Therapy?! and a helium balloon

Yup, life keeps getting more strange by the second.

I'm surfacing from my post op haze -- only to be boldly confronted with the fact that life carries on whether your snoozing the days away or living it to the fullest!

I've agreed to be room rep for Tyler's Kindergarten class -- I love his teacher, I don't have any more kiddos at home to keep me from running last minute errands, and I plan to use the "delegation" tactic to get it all done! (Ha!) But today was rep meeting day...bright and early at 8:30 am! I was confronted with more details about my new volunteer post and immediately tried not to panic as I frantically tried to write notes with my left hand. Tyler's kindergarten handwriting looks better than my left handed chicken scratch. Feelings of gross inadequacy swept over me. How will I get it all done?? One handed?

Off to work and then Physical Therapy...or torture therapy. They took off my surgical dressings and custom fit a brace to my hand -- and then commanded me to exercise the thumb that has just been operated on just this past Thursday. I can't even begin to describe the immense pain that follows moving that thumb right now. I know it will get easier with each week but the uphill climb is a little daunting.

Flowers arrived later this evening and attached was a lovely "get well soon" helium balloon. Fozzy, was so scared at the sight of it that he literally had an accident. How could he be so frightened of something so benign? Why was I frightened of a few class parties and physical therapy? All of these things are harmless enough -- and I have the greatest advantage over Fozzy. I know where my help comes from. He shows me his tender care for my every need in my loving husband, family, friends, co-workers. He gives me mercy in some great pain meds (ha!). He feeds my soul in quiet study time in His word.

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7

It's a great thing I love to sing! ;-) Thank you to all of you who have brought meals (and continue to do so...), prayed, and have sent well wishes our way -- we are overwhelmed by the love shown by each of you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get my hiking boots on, I've got a hill to climb....

1 comment:

MoSmiles said...

Your incredible strength and faith in this hard time is such an encouragement and testimony to the great work God does in people's lives, and to the love that He pours out. It's so rare to find. And you ROCK at it! Keep smiling and shining. :o) You can do it!