Tuesday, October 9, 2007

An Amazing Honor

Well, I'm resurfacing to tell the tale of an amazing honor. One of the 6th graders in our youth worship ministry (Shout Out) asked if I would baptize her! Sweet Christina Owens is now heading into her 3rd year of worship ministry at Irving Bible Church. I know it sounds purely too sappy to be true, but really it has been a joy to see her grow in her faith during her time serving the Lord.

She is not only incredibly talented, but has developed such a humble spirit and a huge desire to follow Jesus. Her smile lights up the room -- and she is a daughter of the King of Kings! You can only imagine the chill bumps I got when I found out that I was able to baptize her! What a high privilege!

Now, I've never baptized anyone before so in case you are wondering, I was completely more nervous about all of it than Christina! I thought for sure I would come down with some disease that would make me say inappropriate things or just forget what I was supposed to do. I mean, can you have momentary Turrets Syndrome symptoms? Let's see, take the Microphone, put it on my head (with my crazy brace), don't trip, help her into the water, speak clearly so that everyone can hear, don't poke her in the back with my crazy brace, help her get back up out of the water, walk out of the baptismal -- oh wait, hand the microphone to Pastor Andy, don't loose the crock shoe off your foot as your exit.... It's a lot to think about, PEOPLE!!

Couple that with that it's a memorable day for all, the cameras are flashing, the video is magnifying your face to 100x it's normal size -- whew!

All in all, Christina and I did it together. Which is really a beautiful way to get baptized! We were both excited, nervous and joyful. And I was so proud of her -- and so humbled to be a part of such a grand day.


No comments: